Simply grilled hake, with a side of lemony paprika chickpeas. Ready in 30 minutes, it’s a low-calorie, gluten-free midweek winner
- Extra-virgin olive oil 2 tsp
- Onion ½, finely chopped
- Garlic 3 cloves, finely chopped
- Red chilli 1, deseeded and finely chopped
- Preserved lemon 1, pith and flesh discarded, and rind finely chopped
- Sweet smoked paprika 1 tsp
- Chickpeas 400g, drained and rinsed
- Kale a large handful, chopped
- Hake or other white fish 2 fillets
- Lemon ½, juiced
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion with a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 minutes until soft, adding a splash of water if it starts to catch. Add the garlic, chilli and preserved lemon, and cook for 1 minute. Add half the paprika, all the chickpeas and 200ml of water, and season. Simmer gently for 20 minutes until the chickpeas are soft and the mixture is saucy. Stir the kale into the chickpeas, cook for a few minutes, then keep warm.
Heat the grill to high. Season the hake fillets and toss in the remaining paprika. Put onto a baking tray and grill for 3-4 minutes or until caramelised and cooked through.
Stir the lemon juice into the chickpeas, divide between two plates and top with the fish.