Couscous makes a great base for a quick and easy vegetarian main course for two. Just add peppers, carrots and chickpeas for an easy afterwork supper. Any leftovers can be taken to work for lunch the next day
- Couscous 100g
- Olive oil
- Carrots 2, peeled and chopped
- Shallots 2, peeled and cut into quarters
- Ras-el-hanout or cinnamon or ground cumin 1 tsp
- Red pepper 1, cubed
- Chopped tomatoes 1 tin
- Chickpeas 1 tin
- Coriander ½ pack, roughly chopped
- Low-fat yoghurt 1 small tub (optional)
- Harissa to serve (optional)
Cook the couscous.
Heat 1 tsp oil in a deep frying pan, add the carrots and shallots and fry briefly. Add the ras-el-hanout and peppers and fry for a minute until the spices start to smell fragrant.
Add the tomatoes, bring to a simmer, put a lid on the pan and cook for 20 minutes or until the veg is tender – add a splash of water if it looks too dry. Season well. stir in the chickpeas and heat through, then stir in the coriander. Spoon over the couscous and serve with yoghurt and harissa if you like.