Try our super simple vegan dahl recipe, made from basic ingredients and ready in 30 minutes. The fried onions, curry leaves and mustard seeds make a colourful, crunchy topping. Serve with flatbreads, or as a side to a curry
- Red lentils 250g
- Coconut milk 400ml
- Tomatoes 2 medium, chopped
- Turmeric 1tsp
- Green chillies 2-3 long pointy ones, sliced
- Black mustard seeds 2 tsp (optional)
- Onions 1 finely chopped, 1 sliced (sliced is optional)
- Curry leaves a handful of fresh (optional)
- Flatbread to serve
Put the red lentils, coconut milk, chopped onion, tomato, long green chillies and turmeric in a pan with 300ml water. Season. Simmer for 20 minutes until the lentils are tender.
Fry another sliced onion in 4 tbsp oil until crisp, add a handful of fresh curry leaves (find these in the herb section in asian grocers) or coriander and mustard seeds and sizzle. Sprinkle over the lentils. Serve with flatbread.